Wow, the weekends always seem to fly by! The hydrangeas that I brought back from the yard in Cape Cod died, which seemed to signify that it was time to get out of vacation mode and back to real life. Last Thursday I went to La Birreria at Eataly for the first time. The rooftop is so cool! I love going to Eataly just to browse around because it makes me feel like I'm back in Rome (where I studied abroad). My weekend was pretty relaxing too. I went to the farmer's market near my apartment and then met up with my friend for brunch at Rintintin. Afterwards, I strolled aimlessly around the West Village with some other friends who were in town from Boston for the weekend. The heat has finally arrived in full force in NYC and it's SO HUMID!! I was drenched in sweat after about five minutes.
It was nice having nothing to do this weekend, since in August I'm going to be traveling almost every weekend. Exciting news - I booked a trip to Oregon in mid-August to visit my cousin who lives out there. I'm so excited to explore Portland, the Oregon coast, the mountains, and the Columbia River Gorge. I've been able to do some planning for that over the past couple days, and I also started watching Chef's Table on Netflix, a documentary series about chefs around the world. I highly recommend if you're interested in cooking!
Here are some more interesting discoveries from the past week:
- "Why Women Apologize and Should Stop" from the New York Times. Unfortunately, I'm exhibit A of this problem, and since reading this article I've made a concerted effort to stop saying sorry to people, whether it's my friends, co-workers, or random people. Why should I say sorry for not doing anything wrong? I hear women saying this to people all the time (particularly men) and it's something we need to start thinking about.
- "Secrets of the Ring Road: Iceland's Epic Road Trip". I've been wanting to go to Iceland for a while and am hoping to plan a trip for next summer. This article only validates why I must go!
- Huckleberry Shrub recipe from Bon Appetit. I've never heard of shrubs, which apparently are fruity vinegars made from berries that can be mixed with seltzer or a drink. Definitely a recipe I'd like to try soon.
- "Yes, Animals Can Think and Feel" from National Geographic. I'm a huge animal lover and this article is fascinating!
- Harry Potter logic puzzle. Enough said.
- "30 Recipes that Reduce Kitchen Waste" from Food52. When I'm cooking I'm a huge waster of food. These recipes made me realize exactly what I'm wasting and what can be done with the food I'm throwing out.
- "The Difference Between $200 Jeans and $20 Ones" from Refinery 29. I went through a jean phase a couple years ago when I bought a lot of expensive jeans. Since then I haven't really been doing that and I just buy something on sale or jeans from Urban Outfitters. This article breaks down exactly what you're getting/not getting depending on how much you pay for jeans and was really insightful.
- "Ultimate Road Trips" from National Geographic. Featuring a ton of cool places I had never even heard of! Plus one of the trips is in Oregon.