Naturally, when I was home for the holidays I used the pistachios that I incorporated into this Winter Citrus Salad into something less healthy. I love meringues. They are light and airy and when I eat them I feel as though I could continue eating them by the hundred. Air = zero calories, right? These are really easy to make and I'm glad they didn't crack, like the ones I made last year, although next time I do them I will use slightly less vanilla. They became a bit beige.
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar powder
- 1/4 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped pistachios, half for incorporating into mixture, other half for sprinkling on top.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Mix egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar, and vanilla with a beater until stiff peaks are formed.
- Mix in half of chopped pistachios.
- Put mixture into piping bag with a large hole for the tip. Pipe dollops onto a wax paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake meringues for 25-30 minutes, until they are lightly browned.