I did something completely unlike myself this weekend and chopped off my hair to just below the shoulders! This may not seem like a big deal, but as someone who has always had very long hair it feels like a huge (but welcome) change. Otherwise, this weekend was pretty low key. I enjoyed watching the Superbowl with Pat from the comfort of bed and LOVED Beyonce at the halftime show. And Bruno Mars - he is so fun! Has anyone watched Beyonce's new video yet? I love how she is so talented and a fabulous entertainer, but also inspires me to think. Her video made me wish I was back in my Southern history classes in college. I also had a serious LOL/anger festival (in agreement) with this opinion piece from The New York Times. I rarely get political on social media, but I just had to share this one.
Speaking of the Superbowl, it's one of my favorite sporting events because I love the festivity around it and all the FOOD! I wanted to eat something healthy-ish but also delicious, so I made a batch of these sweet potato fries. The ends were a bit burnt, but they were delicious with the avocado-lime aioli.
Sweet Potato Fries with Avocado-Lime Aioli
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes, washed, peeled, and chopped into thin strips
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large ripe avocado
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small bunch of fresh cilantro
- sprinkle of black pepper
- splash of milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss sweet potato sticks with oil and spices in a medium bowl and spread evenly on a flat baking sheet. You don't want the potatoes to overlap.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, tossing them around a couple times, until they are crispy.
- In a blender, add avocado, lime juice, cilantro, spices, and milk. Blend until smooth.