Guys it is almost the weekend. I am feeling pretty happy about this. After watching the Oscars this past weekend and cheering for Leo, I'm thinking that this weekend I need to brush up on my movie game. I saw Room and The Big Short, which were both great, but sometimes I feel like I forget that movies exist. Like I will not go to a movie theater unless there is something I absolutely need to see and I don't have a TV. But each year when the Oscars roll around I am full of regret for not watching all the nominated films. So hopefully I can knock out at least one of them this weekend - I am thinking Brooklyn or Spotlight. Recommendations??
But also, let's talk about these cookie sandwiches I made recently that were AMAZING! Ginger snaps are one of my favorite cookies and I've been really into making different flavored sweet creams lately so violà, I decided to make a cookie sandwich out of them by sticking two together with some cardamom cream in between. Please try making these yourself! P.S. I modified the cookie recipe from this recipe on Food52.
Molasses Cardamom Cookie Sandwiches
For the Cookies
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup sugar (for rolling)
For the Cream
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Heat butter on medium-low until the butter has completely melted and begins to foam slightly. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes transfer the butter to a large mixing bowl. Cover and let the butter cool to room temperature.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a separate bowl.
- Add the sugar to the butter and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the molasses and the egg. Gradually beat in dry ingredients until just combined. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Remove it from the fridge about 30 minutes before working with it.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment. Fill a small bowl with 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Scoop tablespoons of batter, form into balls, and roll in the sugar. Place on a baking sheet two inches apart. Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- As cookies are cooling, begin the cream filling. Mix heavy cream, vanilla extract, sugar, and cardamom in a medium bowl. Beat on high with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Once cookies have cooled, transfer cream filling into a piping bag. Pipe out cream onto one cookie and place a second cookie on top.