I returned from Nashville early yesterday afternoon and I'm still thinking about how it was all kinds of magical. The food, coffee, and overall vibe of the city was unlike a place I'd experienced before and I can't wait to plan a trip back when I don't have to also work. Stay tuned for pictures on the blog this week! When I think about the upcoming couple of months I'm anxious but excited. I'm heading to Providence on Wednesday for work (again) but after that's over I'm looking forward to some birthday celebrations for friends, a wedding, and a weekend getaway with my sister. It's so important to have things to look forward to.
Speaking of things to look forward to, let's talk about leftovers. After I made these garlic navy beans last week I wanted to incorporate them into something else even though, let's be honest, I could have kept eating them on toast for decades. Here's where some lemony grilled asparagus and an olive oil fried egg come into play and suddenly you have yourself a delicious bean and veggie salad. Throw in some toasted french bread and you can mop up the yolky goodness and garlicky olive oil.
Asparagus and Navy Bean Salad
- 1/2 cup leftover garlic navy beans (recipe here)
- 1/2 pound fresh, thin asparagus, with ends chopped off
- 1 egg
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- French bread slices, toasted
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
- Sauté asparagus with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. lemon juice, salt and pepper until they are cooked and bright green, but still crunchy.
- In a separate skillet fry an egg sunny side up in olive oil. Keep the yolk runny.
- Pile asparagus, beans, egg, and toast onto a plate. Season and enjoy!