Two weeks ago was one that involved coming home after work and snuggling up in 10 layers of blankets while sipping hot tea and watching The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Of course, it was just my luck that on Friday after walking home in the rain and in a high level of pain because I stupidly wore my rain boots all day, that the water in my shower was just not getting hot. UGH! I don't even like cold showers after the beach in the summer, so this was basically my personal hell.
Thankfully, my weekend turned around the next day when my sister and her boyfriend came to visit. We hit up the Union Square farmer's market, the riverwalk in Brooklyn near my apartment, and then a whirlwind tour of the Lower East Side starting at Round K, dinner at Pizza Beach, and finishing it off with burnt honey ice cream at Morgenstern's. This week I'm looking forward to dinner with a friend, and just catching up on things I've been meaning to do.
Growing up I never liked carrots, particularly the cooked variety, but after seeing the pretty colorful bunches at the farmer's markets I decided to give them another go. It turns out, cooked carrots can be delicious with just a little bit of Mediterranean seasonings! This weekend I was inspired by a recipe from April Bloomfield's newest cookbook, A Girl and Her Greens, and voila, I give you these Spiced Carrots with Yogurt. They are deliciously tangy with many levels of flavor, and the Zesty Z I used (a new all-natural Za'atar mix) gave it an extra punch.
Spiced Carrots with Yogurt
- Heat olive oil in large skillet and add in garlic. Cook until simmering and add in the carrot chunks. Stir in turmeric, paprika, black pepper, and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Cook carrots on medium/high heat until they are soft but not mushy (about 15-20 minutes, but this will depend on the size of the pieces). As they begin to soften, add in 1 tablespoon of Zesty Z and stir.
- Remove carrots from the heat once they are cooked and let cool for a couple minutes. Add 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt to the carrots and mix, so that all pieces are coated.
- Transfer into a separate bowl and top with the rest of the Greek yogurt, olive oil, 1 tablespoon of Zesty Z, and basil.
- 1 pound of medium sized carrots, washed, peeled, and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (save some for drizzling at the end)
- 2 tablespoons Zesty Z
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 fresh basil leaves
This post features Zesty Z, an all natural Za'atar mix made locally in Brooklyn. This healthy Mediterranean spread can be used with your favorite foods including hummus, Greek yogurt, popcorn, and more, and is now available for purchase! Find out more here.