After traveling, I enjoy being in New York even more than I normally do. My sister is here for the summer and we have a list of places where we want to eat (I am not ashamed) so we spent the weekend checking off some places on that list. First up was the new Butcher's Daughter location in the West Village and then Tekoa in Cobble Hill for iced coffee. We also went to the Union Square Greenmarket where I got my copy of Sweeter off the Vine signed by Yossy Arefi! I was so excited - she's one of my favorite bloggers and was also handing out delicious cake that she made. At the market we picked up fresh snap peas, fava beans, and the most gorgeous bouquet of peonies. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the fava beans. Any suggestions?
It was also my sister's birthday last week so I made her this Vanilla Cake with fresh strawberry whipped cream. It was so dense and the whipped cream, which was only sweetened with fresh strawberries and a tiny amount of sugar, added a refreshing touch. Also, I attempted at making my first time-lapse video. It's at the bottom so please don't laugh! I hope everyone is enjoying the week so far.
Vanilla Cake with Strawberry Whipped Cream
For the cake:
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat an 9-inch cake pan with butter. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar, eggs, vanilla, and melted butter until thoroughly mixed. Add in milk and continue mixing. A little at a time, add in flour mixture and mix until combined. Do not overbeat.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean — 30 to 35 minutes. Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- For whipped cream, combine heavy cream, sugar, and strawberries in a blender and mix until stiff peaks form. Spread onto cake when it cools and decorate.
- 1½ c. flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ c. unsalted butter
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ c. milk
- colored sprinkles
For the whipped cream
- 1½ c. heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 4 fresh strawberries