Although I work in publishing, I've found myself to be in a reading rut lately and haven't had a desire to pick up a book even though I have a stack sitting next to my bed. I feel like I go back and forth with reading, binging several books within a couple day period and then going a couple weeks without picking one up. There are so many books on my to-read list yet I am having issues choosing one to start with! To try to remedy this situation, I decided to make a list of my favorite books of 2016. I'm hoping that this will re-invigorate my desire to read for fun. AND if anyone has any good recommendations, please let me know!
- All Things Cease to Appear - Hands down my favorite - the writing was so beautiful and I was immediately captivated. I could read this book over and over again.
- The Longest Night - Came in a close second on my list. I loved how this combined serious historical fiction with domestic drama.
- Bennington Girls Are Easy - Relatable for millenials!
- Sweetbitter - If you love food you will love Stephanie Danler's debut.
- Modern Lovers - I absolutely loved The Vacations, and while I didn't love Modern Lovers quite as much, the characters were still amazing and I loved the Brooklyn setting.
- The Nightingale - Historical fiction at it's best. Must read.
- The Sun in Your Eyes - A story of friendship with a fun road trip and tons of music references woven through.
- American Housewife - Fun, smart stories about feminism. My favorite one was the one about southern ladies.
- Crazy Rich Asians - this book and the sequel are addicting. They sort of reminded me of Asian gossip girl
- Barbara the Slut and Other Stories - My first foray into the world of short stories. Favorite was probably the one named after the title.
This recipe was created on a whim in my apartment on a Monday afternoon. I was concerned about how it would come out (since I completely under baked the last loaf I attempted and when I pulled it out of the pan it sunk in on itself in a gloopy mess), but this one ended up being perfect! It also proves that rainbow sprinkles makes anything better.
Chocolate Tahini Loaf
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
Beat sugar and Greek yogurt together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until incorporated; add vanilla extract.
Combine flours, cocoa powder and baking powder together in a bowl. Stir the mixture into the sugar, butter and egg mixture. Pour milk into batter and mix until smooth. Add in tahini and mix until smooth.
Pour the batter into loaf pan and bake about 30 to 40 minutes, until toothpick or fork stuck in comes out clean. While cake is baking, make ganache by heating milk and pouring over dark chocolate chips. Mix until smooth. Slice loaf and spread ganache and top with sprinkles!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 5 tablespoons tahini
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup whole milk plain Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons heated heavy cream
- Rainbow sprinkles